March 3, 2013

Crunch!



Just a quick question .... what are some of your favorite crunchy treats?  I love a bit of crunch, and since on my low carb eating plan..... for at least the next 3 months or so, I am limited on what I can have - so the two that came immediately to mind for me .... jicama (love this one -- sweet and crunchy) and snap peas (also sweet and crunchy) .... I'd love to hear some of your thoughts!  :)



Incantation/affirmation for today ... My body is a temple and I bring the best of the Lord's bounty into it for my enjoyment and enrichment.  OK, it is more of a Sunday kind of wording, but hope you get the idea.

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm...Crunchy foods. Lentil Chips are GREAT! My problem is stopping before I finish a coupe of bags.
    You're doing the whole Low Carb thing and I still mostly to reducing calories. (I get really confused between fast and slow carbs and good ones and bad ones)
    Crunchy. Lentil Chips, Coco Covered/Mocha covered almonds. (Could pose a problem with the WOW though)
    An entire jar of Tostitos crunchy salsa. Break 7 chips, drop them in, shake twice and fork it out. (Less than 150 Cal and for me good for a couple of hours.)
    Snap Peas, Wasabe Peas. I have to go the dehydrated route. No room for a refer in the truck for the real things.
    Best, but far from least is Robinson's Beef Jerky. Packaged in 2.5 oz servings @ 90 cal a pack. (I just have to keep the packs hid or I eat them all. Kind of a habitual thing.
    I have NO idea what jimaca is, but sweet? Crunchy? If it doesn't have to be refrigerated I'm sold! Beats the heck out of my M&M's with peanuts. I can trash a weeks of calories in a day with those darn things!
    NO doubt you'll hit your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your affirmation. Reminds me of the one, The body is the temple of the soul. Probably where I got into so much trouble. It was much more like an amusement park than a temple for WAY to long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look online for recipes to make Kale chips. I also like rutabaga sliced thin or in chunks on a salad, but snap peas are my most favorite. I think this a wonderful blog and adventure. Best wishes in your journey and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Jim, jicama is a veggie, but it tastes kind of like a very crisp combination of raw potato, green peas and apple. It can be a bear to cut up, so I usually go the lazy route and buy it precut, or sometimes salad bars will have it, then I will usually add it to my salad. The picture of white "sticks" is what it is look like after it has been cut up. In its uncut form, it is shaped kind of like a large turnip but the outside is kind of a baking potato color, but the outside is thick and hard. Just FYI.

    Thanks k and j, feel free to follow in whatever form you like .... love having comments and readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/04/2013

    Some crunchy ideas are roasted chickpeas (not sure if you have limitations on beans or not), or kale chips with some salt on them they are a good replacement for potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cambree .... thanks, currently I'm not doing the beans, but that won't last forever. I'm going to try making some kale chips this weekend. Do you like them just on their own, or do you like them best with a dip/spread or such? Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would air-popped popcorn work?? Apple slices get me through sweet attacks and they're crunchy if you buy the right kinds. I love fuji, Jonagold, sometimes Galas (if they're striped), and Braeburn. But they might be too high in carbs???

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome ideas. Oh, new one I found: Apple slices with lemon juice and cinnamon. If you can do it, like 1/2 tsp of sugar or a little honey for extra sweetness. I also like a new nut blend I've found: Back To Nature Bar Harbor Blend. It's vanilla and chocolate covered almonds with dried cranberries. It's sweet, but oh so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the great suggestions, even those I can't do currently are great for future reference. I love crunchy things .... sweet and salty as well, so it is great to have options!

    ReplyDelete