March 20, 2013

I can


I can do hard things!   This is certainly one of the simplest and truest of all affirmations, don't you think? 

Of course my definition of HARD things changes from day to day.  What is reasonably easy for me on Mondays  .... well, usually is more difficult for me by Friday night.  Just the wear and tear of the work week does it to me.  But, I know this, so I usually plan any physically difficult things (as much as possible) so they are done from Monday through Thursday .... or sometimes on Saturday afternoons.

But then, there are REALLY hard things.  Struggling with overcoming addictive behaviors, my particular one of course is food, but if you struggle with an addiction (or just struggle with someone you love who is an addict).. THAT is a hard thing!  Completing long-term goals, such as getting a college degree or paying off a major debt .... THAT is a hard thing.

I'm not trying to dwell on negatives here.  Actually, I'm going for the positive.  I CAN do hard things.  You CAN do hard things.  I think we are actually made to DO hard things!  There is great joy ... not just in completing hard things, but in the doing as well.  My friend Amy recently remarked that she now does HARD workouts and finds joy and satisfaction in it.  Another friend is working on a degree in College ... she finds joy and satisfaction in learning new things and the socialization.

Being a Mom has got to be one of the HARDEST of all things to do .... and there is no end in sight to that particular job!  But I'm at an age when I look around and see so many of my friends enjoying great blessings (and some continued heartaches) from being a Mom and Grandmother. 

What I guess I'm saying is .... Isn't it the most amazing thing to be a human and able to DO hard things!  Isn't it the most extraordinary blessing to have the option of progression and learning at every turn and bend in the road!  Isn't it incredible to be able to associate with people who (like you) can do REALLY hard things! 

I can  do hard things....I can do hard things....I can do hard things....!

1 comment:

  1. Yes you can yes you can yes you can!!!! The good news is ... you do them long enough and they aren't so difficult anymore!!!

    ReplyDelete