Beyond maybe some obvious physical features and core beliefs, my mom and I are almost polar opposites when it comes to personalities. Sometimes we have struggled because of that. It has not always been an easy relationship for either of us AND YET, I have faith because she taught me about having faith and hanging in there ... even in some incredibly trying times ... I learned it from her because she lived it! I think I'm fairly generous and giving and that too I learned how to use as a benefit in my life and in the lives of those around me ... because I saw her doing it. As a child I remember going with her to deliver food to others who had a need or were suffering a loss. I played under the various quilts she worked on, they were my personal fortress for many a wild and wonderful adventure!
My mom is a big believer in teaching independence... I laugh at this because I think I came to this earth with that quality and then Mom taught us all that trait, so sometimes I think I'm a bit frustrating to her because I'm a bit TOO independent, but still she honors it in me and I learned to temper it because I love her and honor her.
When I was a child there were some really hard nights in the family. Sometimes we would be up until 3 in the morning packing up so we could get out of what seemed an impossible situation. We didn't ever have to actually leave as a family, but it came close many times. Still, every morning (even after those very rough nights) I woke to her singing or humming as she fixed breakfast for us. To this day (even though I'm not really a morning person) I wake up happy (though slow).
When I had my surgery last Fall, she and my brother-in-law (Harry) came down and stayed with me for about 11 days making sure I was really up and able to take care of things on my own before they left.
Here's the thing, sometimes I go through my life and I get so caught up in all that I am doing and LIFE IS CRAZY sometimes! :) ... but if you are anything like me, if you get really really sick ... is there anything more comforting than hearing your Mom, is there any other voice that can ever replace the one that you recognize as your Mom (even if that was someone who most people don't think of as your Mom ... because you think of her in that way)?
Mom, hope you know I love you with all my heart. You are irreplaceable in my life. You've given me strength, faith, conviction, independence, life, love and heart! Hope every day you feel cherished, honored and loved! Love you Mom!!!
.jpg)
Dear Jan, Katey brought up your Mother's Day message for me. Thank you for writing it and for
ReplyDeletethe beautiful thoughts you expressed- I love you!
Also, the lovely fruit box came yesterday. How thoughtful of you. We will enjoy it and will probably share it. Thank you so much. I will be talking to you soon. You are very special to me.
Love, Mom