April 19, 2013

Aids

Okay, when I was sent home from the hospital after my surgery (September 2012), I was provided a walker.  It was much needed for about a day and a half.  Because of what had been removed and that being in the core area of my body, I desperately needed the support for that first day or so, for another day, I desperately needed it for something to help me get into the standing position and so I used it, though it was more in the way than not once I was up and moving.  By the time I had been home 2 days, I set the silly thing aside and didn't use it.  After a week of not using it, I put it in the closet.  You never know when one might be needed again.

So that gives you the history.  Today, however I'm thinking about crutches.  Sometimes crutches are so very necessary just to get by.  But it is easy to get used to having them around if we don't put an effort into not using them as quickly as possible. 

Of course I'm speaking in a more symbolic manner.  I've kept too many crutches around in my life.  I get impatient with other people's crutches, but don't want to worry about my own! 

I'm trying to take stock, a personal inventory as it were, of the crutches I've been using that are actually more in my way than helpful.  I really want to get rid of some of that "deadwood" from my life.  The excuses, the "treats" and such.  So this is one of the ways I'm trying to retrain my brain (as mentioned earlier in the week).  I am placing a mental picture of this walker in my head and trying to use it as an OVERLAY whenever I think to myself ... "I must have _______."  or "____________ is calling to me from the kitchen cupboard."


Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh, this is good. Very good. Mental spring cleaning as I write ...

    ReplyDelete