April 25, 2013

TANSTAAFL



Many, many years ago I took an Economics class ... which I quite enjoyed, but I think it had more to do with the teacher's ability to teach then the subject matter .... and for my single female friends ... that does NOT mean (at least in this case) that he was a "cute young thang!"  :)

One of the things I remember most about the information from that class is TANSTAAFL.  There aint no such thing as a free lunch!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Maybe because I'm seeing it some in others .... but lest that come across as passive-aggressive speech, I usually first notice things in others and it rubs against me for awhile, ranting to myself about it a bit when I'm alone UNTIL it finally hits me that it would NOT bother me nearly so much if it was not something I was NOT wanting to face about myself!

So if you possibly have issues with this ugly truth ... deal with it on your own time!  :)))))  I'm not here to point out your flaws, just working on my own ....

TANSTAAFL is a universal concept.  I am not talking about a political agenda, but a personal one.  It's the mentality that has put me at 400+ pounds, thinking that I can have or do whatever I want and there is no payment to be made in doing so.  It is in it's own way the fairy tale mentality.  That you find your handsome prince and then you live happily ever after.  Without ever thinking about how much hard work goes into creating happily ever after.  It is also in being willing to let other people do for me what I can do for myself, but it's just easier to let someone else do it. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with paying someone to do things for me, it is what makes our economy work, but I think we all know one or more people who not only occasionally depend on the kindness of strangers, but somehow make a dang good living at it.  And I'm not talking about the obvious ways.

In my own life, because of my size, people that care about me are constantly having to make adjustments.  As an example, I'm not really able to climb into back seats ... so if I'm in a car with more than 2 people, someone else is always going to be in the backseat.  Or at least that was true up until a few months ago.  That is just an example of what I'm saying. 

I have always been very independent, so this is a touchy point for me.  I'm doing something about it, but still I keep finding little areas where I'm unconsciously operating at a level of .... la dee da, I don't have to "pay" for this. 

So I'm paying for it now, I'm doing the work, I'm moving forward and in the process, I hope I'm learning new areas where I can begin to make a difference ... in my own life as well as the lives of those around me! 

Every day in every way, I am getting stronger and better!

3 comments:

  1. I'm paying now too ... I totally get this ... totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well written. Have I told you I love the way you write?

      Delete
  2. Amy ... yes you are!

    Harry ... THANKS! A person could not ask for a better brother (you advanced from brother-in-law to brother long before you willingly came to help after my surgery!!!). Love you!

    ReplyDelete